Candace Owens Thoughts on Disability & Employment - My Opinion

Quote “There are tons of positions people with disabilities can fill, there's no reason you can't work a desk job if you are in a wheelchair. I'm currently in a boot for a surgery I had. It hasn't made me less able or capable to do a podcast.” Candace Owens

That was Candace Owens response to a disabled viewer who mentioned the struggles they face in finding employment. Showing she might not fully understand any of the struggles people with physical disabilities face in finding employment. I actually know of fully educated college and university graduates with disabilities who are struggling to find employment. Why? One simple word discrimination.

Often many employers are unwilling to hire people with disabilities even if they are fully qualified. Sadly in some cases whenever an interviewer or HR department sees a person using a wheelchair or if they notice some obvious sign of a disability automatically their mind is made up to not even give them an opportunity. How do I know? Well it's happened to me.

See from my own experiences I learned the second you mention having a disability and needing certain accommodations that's usually when the interview takes a different turn. So often the hardest part for us is the ability to make it through the interview process.

When facing this type of uphill battle many people with disabilities often have no other choice but to give up on seeking employment since no one is willing to hire them. So while there might be many jobs we could do if they are unwilling to hire people with disabilities then unemployment becomes our reality.

What I find funny is the fact that most people that are screaming at us to get a job, some who even have their own business or brand wouldn’t even be willing to hire us. Sure some businesses are willing to do short-term paid sponsorships with people with disabilities to push their products on social media but often they have a bad track record of hiring us to work within their companies. So before anyone responds to people with disabilities struggling to find employment I suggest they do a little research on the realities we face.

That is why I would encourage people to consider reading my book Fighting Towards Victory to better understand the disability community and some of the issues we face.
To order a copy please visit https://linktr.ee/fightingtowardsvictory

No comments:

Post a Comment