The one big problem with my new Pride Mobility Scooter

In recent years the difficulties I face with walking resulting from Becker Muscular Dystrophy has been making things difficult at times. After a scary fall last year getting a mobility scooter became a real necessity. I was excited when it arrived but discovered that our current vehicle isn't compatible with transporting my mobility scooter, one issue being that once it’s inside - even with the rear seats down it leaves little room for anything else.

The biggest problem I currently face

Maybe the most frustrating problem is my inability to bend over - all thanks to Muscular Dystrophy and my weak legs making it impossible for me to pick up anything that is heavy, so forget me being able to lift something off of the ground. So while the mobility scooter does come apart my weakened state results in me having to leave it at home, as I am unable to transport it if I need to go out on my own. What’s truly unfortunate is the fact that we used to have the perfect SUV - one we had in preparation for my future mobility needs but it was totaled by a red light runner.
As a result of our limited budget we ended up replacing it with a much smaller vehicle, one which simply makes transporting a mobility scooter very challenging - especially for me. This helps to show how important it really is to have the right vehicle when aging with Becker Muscular Dystrophy. This has me eyeing a few newer minivans, the only hurdle we face is their lack of affordability, as quality minivans don’t come cheap, nor do the vehicle modifications it would need - such as installing Bruno’s hoist lift call the Curb-Sider and quite possibly the BraunAbility Turny Evo Seat as well. Two mobility vehicle modifications that enable many with physical disabilities like me to keep driving and being able to get out in our communities.
This means the need for a minivan when living with a muscle-wasting disorder is very important. Sure one challenge for many including me is the lack of affordability but they definitely go a long way in improving our quality of life. The biggest benefit being that large rear opening that minivans provide, as with Bruno’s hoist lift installed in the back it would safely lift my mobility scooter with me just having to direct it inside - no need to lift anything heavy. So with a minivan and this all important lift installed I’d honestly be living the dream, always able to take my mobility scooter with me.
The unfortunate part about all of this is the cost, and as we all know life isn’t getting any cheaper especially for those with disabilities. In my case getting that much-needed minivan or SUV is so far out of reach.

I guess in the end it’s best to start early when planning for a future with Muscular Dystrophy or any other type of physical disabilities. That way you will be better prepared to handle your changing needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment