Childhood with Muscular Dystrophy: The hardest walk of my life

As a child even after my diagnosis of Becker Muscular Dystrophy I didn't yet fully understand my limitations. I had to have been 11 years old at the time, my family had just moved to New Brunswick and the elementary school I was attending was surrounded by what some kids would refer to as a forest. Now with the area we lived in being known for getting plenty of snow it resulted in gym class including some outside winter activities. One such activity I had never even heard of before was snowshoeing, as a child found it very interesting thinking it looked like fun. Unfortunately, I was completely wrong as it ended up being one of the worst experiences of my life, one I still remember clearly today. 

See if you don't already know snowshoeing especially for a child living with Becker Muscular Dystrophy is an extremely physically demanding activity. While other children in my class faced no difficulty at all - I struggled from the very start. In no time I was the one quickly getting left behind in the cold. Next thing I knew I was the last one in line seeing the other children far off in the distance. You see I was struggling in the deep snow barely able to lift my leg up to take another step. Eventually everyone was so far ahead that a few other children actually waited for me to catch up. 

Eventually this extreme activity wore me down to the point where I could barely even walk. I actually remember seeing the school in the distance ahead of me wondering if I would make it. I kept struggling and eventually made it back to the school and once the snowshoes were off I was very relieved, yet still feeling weak. This was my first time ever dealing with extreme muscle weakness and fatigue. 

Now some might be wondering why I didn’t say anything or tell my gym teacher this might be too much for me. Well due to the fact that my diagnosis was completely new to me, at this point in time I simply wasn't fully aware of all my physical limitations. As before this I had never really pushed myself beyond my limits, so resulted in me simply having to learn the hard way.



No comments:

Post a Comment