What frustrates me the most about having a hidden disability

When it comes to my frustrations part of the problem is that we live in a world which is obsessed with judging people by the way they look. So when it comes to people with physical disabilities the general public expects to see some visible sign that you have one. So if they don't see you using a cane or some other form of a mobility aid they automatically assume that you must be fine.

 

 This is a major source of frustration for many of us who don't fit some peoples stereotypical view of people living with disabilities. I pretty much face this issue every day especially when it comes to using accessible parking spaces. I actually remember a time once when I parked in an accessible parking space and when I returned found a note attached to my windshield. Some person actually took the time to write a note telling me that I had no right to park there as these spots are reserved for people with disabilities. It’s in these moments I am blown away by the level of some people's ignorance. And it's even worse when it comes from people you know. That is why I wish everyone I knew understood even just a little about Becker's Muscular Dystrophy. Let's be honest many of us actually do care about the way that people think of us - especially when it comes to our family and friends. 

 

Maybe others have reached the point where this doesn't bother them so much any more. But I can only speak from my experience and I know that there are others out there who feel the same way as I do. Those who may be able to relate are those who have had people question what you do all day. Especially if you are no longer working. I have actually heard stories from people who say that some in their families simply believe that they are lazy or just pretending to have a disability. They have expressed feelings of being upset that anyone would view them in such a negative way. At this point in my progression I can fully understand where they are coming from. Now sure this might just be an issue those with hidden disabilities face but I am sure others living with progressive medical conditions can relate.


When it comes down to it all we really want is for the people in our lives to better understand the issues we face not to gain sympathy but just a little understanding. After all we are good people who aim to live our lives to the fullest no matter our limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment