Somedays you might see me walking the next using my mobility scooter

When living with Becker Muscular Dystrophy at some point you do find yourself in that in-between stage of still being able to walk but also needed to use a mobility scooter or wheelchair. With most first starting off by using a cane.
 
Oddly enough there are some who are surprised by the fact that one day they might see us walking the next using a mobility scooter or wheelchair. Some mistakenly believe we all go from walking to the next day never walking again. Not realizing there are many going through the in-between stage of walking and also needing to use some type of mobility aid.

At this current stage in my progression with Becker Muscular Dystrophy my mobility scooter works best for me and my current abilities. So please don't be surprised if one day you see me walking, as it's not a sign I don't really need my mobility scooter, it just means I am finally having a good day. At this point in my life it is really nice to know the ability to use my mobility scooter is always there!

On a side note - Some wonder why I don’t use a manual wheelchair. I often receive suggestions to start using one. Now while you do see some with Becker’s using a manual wheelchair, in my case due to certain muscles now being weak, especially in my arms and legs I completely lack the physical strength to get myself up and out of one. That is why a mobility scooter works best for me. 

All this is just part of adapting to your changing needs as you age with Muscular Dystrophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment