Still feeling the effects of my latest fall

About 3 months ago I suffered a fall where I twisted my right index finger as I fell to the ground and still it hurts quite a bit. It actually hurts so bad at times I can't even twist a cap off of a water bottle.

See that night I was at a restaurant with my wife & friends. Unfortunately, the restaurant didn't have any accessible park available. So, I had to use the accessible parking at the far end of the parking lot.

Now when the time came to leave the restaurant, I went ahead of my wife to go get our vehicle but on the way, I had to walk up along the sidewalk which had a small incline which unfortunately caused me to trip and I immediately fell to the ground. 

Now being far ahead of my wife who was still at the entrance of the restaurant talking to one of our friends she actually noticed me fall down & quickly ran to my side. Right away I started to think about how I was going to get up. Which wasn't going to be possible but I noticed a Subway Sandwich shop close by. So, I asked one of my friends to see if they would allow him to take a chair to use to help me get up.

My wife went & got our vehicle pulling it close to me, at this point I was assisted onto the chair. Then we moved the chair with me on it closer to the vehicle so I could work my way onto the driver's seat at that point we were on our way.

With a few cuts and bruises I actually felt okay but then my one finger started hurting & the pain was getting worse. Then over the last 3 months my finger injury started making things challenging. I could no longer use my hand to open a water bottle and anything that needed strength to open I simply couldn't do it due to the pain. I guess this shows how we need to do our best to avoid suffering injuries.

Now I am not sure why I am sharing this story but falling never gets easy. So, what have I learned?

#1 If you can't find an accessible parking space at the place you hope to visit, go somewhere else.

#2 Going up inclines or hills is now very risky and often results in falls. So, avoid them.

#3 In certain situations bring mobility aids that can help prevent falls it could be a cane, wheelchair or mobility scooter.

#4 Avoid falling!

No comments:

Post a Comment