Doing all we can to remain in the fight against Muscular Dystrophy

When you first get diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy you want to do all you can to try and fight it, my first thought was working out, lifting weights to build muscles so I could keep going this was at age 12.

We mentioned all this to my doctors and they let me know that it's important to maintain your muscles but to be careful as pushing them to the point of fatigue could actually end up deteriorating the muscles much faster.

They suggested that if I was going to work out to do it every other day, that way it could give my muscles a chance to recuperate. So, I am always careful and know it's okay some days to just take it easy & relax.

I remember in my teens going to an amusement park with my friends, these days were very physically challenging and would always result in 3 days of recovery which meant I took it easy over those next three days.

Like many when I was first diagnosed my parents were told that I would be in a wheelchair by age 21. I think they were told that as some doctor's always give people the worst-case scenario. As for me that never happened and as I sit here in my 40's today, I am still able to walk but do need my mobility scooter on the days my legs don't feel up to it.

Anyways sadly there is no way to win the battle with Muscular Dystrophy after all is a horrible thing to live with especially having to slowly lose the ability to do things you once could with ease.

So please know that doing your exercises is good along with a positive attitude which can help but we need people to understand the issues we face. After all the effects of Muscular Dystrophy are very real and no amount of working out or positive thinking can cure this muscle-wasting disorder.

In the end this MD life is about maintaining muscle and doing all we can to remain in the fight against Muscular Dystrophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment