Always Thankful for Improvements with Accessibility

It was nice to get out over this past weekend, I was very thankful for a cool breeze blowing on such a hot day. Now I was reluctant to go out at first due to the heat but decided to go anyway.

When we arrived at Parkwood I noticed they made some improvements including paving what used to be a dirt pathway - this is a major improvement in accessibility for wheelchair & mobility scooter users!

Like most I am always impressed when I see improvements in accessibility. It actually brings about feelings of joy and excitement to me. I know that seems odd but that's just how I feel.

Also since starting to use my mobility scooter I now fully understand how important smooth pathways are for wheelchair & mobility scooters users. See when I join my wife and mom on their walks, there's a large portion of unpaved pathway that we travel along. My mobility scooter can barely handle all the bumps and rocks that fill this pathway, I actually hate having to travel down it.

Now I fully understand the costs involved with paving it but when using a pathway so close to home you want it to be smooth and accessible to everyone. After all we are way more safer using our mobility scooters on pathways then on the sidewalk or even the streets. It's also a great way to get close to nature. So hopefully they have plans to pave it in the near future.

Anyways accessibility is very important to people of all abilities. It just makes getting out in our communities that much easier. Thankfully there are quite a few pathway systems I can visit in and around my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment