Thank Goodness for my tough Tooshie aka my Gluteus Maximus

It might sound funny but over the years my rear end has taken a beating from all the falls I've experienced over the years!

Now I know this is an odd subject to be discussing but in my case when ever I fall I usually collapse landing directly on my butt. Sadly this exact thing happened over the weekend as I was exiting someone's home, the second I placed my foot on the very first step my leg was too weak to support me and the next thing you know I went down collapsing between two steps.

Unfortunately I landed on my rear end collapsing with such force I started thinking well I hope I didn't dislodge any of my vital organs. I seemed okay except for the scrape on my ankle but my next thought was thank goodness for my tough tooshie or tushy whatever spelling you prefer. Still this fall was truly frustrating, especially since it happened on a day I was doing pretty good physically but sadly ended off the day experiencing a real wake up call when my leg gave out and I went down.

Then comes the task of getting back up which is a chore in itself. Especially with my arm muscles being weak, then the next step is crawling up onto my knees which can end up being pretty painful especially when doing it on such a hard surface. Then I need to turn around to face the steps so I can slowly crawl back up and onto my feet. It took about three tries to work myself back up. It makes me think I need to travel with a portable ramp so I can use it when needing to get up a few steps into someone's home.

Some might say if you can no longer do steps or stairs then why do you put yourself into these situations. It simply comes down to not wanting to miss out on the good things in life. See we simply don't want to let our issues get in the way. But this way of thinking usually ends up with us paying dearly for not putting our safety first. Thankfully on this night I walked away with a sore butt and a scrape on my ankle and I am very thankful it didn't end up much worse because a simple fall could change my life instantly.

This is the main reason behind me starting to use a mobility scooter. It's all about safety which has also led to the need of trying to raise the funds needed to get a minivan so I can transport it and use it around my community. The facts are you never get used to falling so maybe it is time for me to admit it's better to miss out and just stay home instead of having to use steps and stairs - or win the lottery and build an accessible home so everyone can just visit me. Oh wait, we stopped playing the lottery after being on a 20 year losing streak so in all honesty it would take a true miracle to turn that dream into a reality.

Sorry this is just me sharing a few frustrations from a life lived with Becker Muscular Dystrophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment