Are we approaching ableism the right way?

Go ahead ask me a question about my disability. Feel free to ask; "why are you using a mobility scooter, you look so young and healthy?" Or to even comment saying; "Wow your calf muscles are huge." Or even send a prayer my way I won't at all be offended. As I fully understand that many are unfamiliar with the large number of different types of disabilities affecting the young and old. And we we really can't be surprised that some people still have a stereotypical view of people with disabilities.

For decades we've been left out of the picture but thanks to social media we now have a voice. I choose to use mine to raise awareness to help educate the misinformed. After all I truly can't expect everyone to understand or even approach me in the right way, it's the main reason I started sharing my story. It all came down to the experiences I was having with people who the disabled community now labels ableists.

Now sure still today people often say the wrong things with out even thinking, I know it's unintentional so I don't get offended as I am always willing to share my story so one day all people understand. It doesn't help me and most definitely wouldn't be productive in raising awareness or understanding if I got angry every time someone said the wrong thing as eventually have the opposite affect.

If I began to get in the habit of constantly going off on able-bodied people constantly pointing out how stupid they are eventually some will start avoiding us all together. It could have a negative impact in many areas of our lives it may even affect or ability to get jobs even with some believing they have to walk on egg shells around us always being afraid of saying the wrong thing.

We really can't blame people for their ignorance but what we can do is help to educate whenever the opportunity arrises. I think so many people have forgotten that being defensive & rude never really helps to advance any cause. We need to remember that honesty & kindness are keys to opening doors to opportunities to share and eventually will lead to a true understanding.

In the end changing peoples perception of people with disabilities or chronic illnesses starts with the way we react when someone mistakenly says the wrong thing. Many people have good intentions so maybe we need to spend less time being offended by everyone and everything. After all no one benefits from having a reputation of being a whiner or complainer. Want to change the world then approach everything with the right attitude - that the only way things will ever change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment