New challenges dealing with the heat & humidity

Last summer we planned to spend a day at the beach today! The night before I kept going back and forth deciding if I should go or not - just me tending to be overly concerned about my physical limitations. I was thinking about the difficulties I face when it comes to walking on a sandy beach. As for most of us still walking with a physical disability walking in sand quickly becomes an exhausting activity, add in the summer heat and it's not a good mix.

But still I decided to go as I didn't want my disability to keep me from getting out there and enjoying the day. At first when we arrived I stayed standing till I had no choice but to sit down, something I am often reluctant to do resulting from all the difficulty I face in standing back up. A real struggle these days as my muscles weaken.

So eventually the time came when I had to get back up and this led to 5 minutes of struggling but with some assistance I was finally able to get back up. We went on a short walk to the restrooms and to my surprise like usual I find the one uneven part in the pavement, which usually ends with me suffering a nasty fall. Thankfully on this occasion I was able to catch myself and avoid the fall. But I didn't allow it to bother me for long. I was actually happy we were having such a beautiful day but eventually the heat started getting to me - so I quickly found a place in the shade. I just had to take it easy as I was becoming exhausted but thankfully an hour or so later it was time to leave. I was happy as at one point I thought I was going to pass out.

Now do I regret going to the beach? Not really as it was great spending time with family. Though next time if an opportunity comes to spend another day at the beach I will have to pass. As lately due to how fast I become exhausted in summer heat it's simply not worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment