Well that hurt! Falling with Becker Muscular Dystrophy


Well that hurt and sadly resulted in a cut on my forehead. At the time it happened I was leaning forward to wash my hands, unfortunately my legs gave way causing me to fall forward head butting the kitchen cabinets in front of me!

This all happening because I needed to wash my hands before doing some dishes. Unfortunately our dishwasher broke (Thankfully now replaced) leaving me with no option but to wash them by hand. It seems to be taking a toll resulting in some extra muscle weakness. It also doesn't help that years ago I suffered a work-related injury in the form of tendonitis which means washing dishes by hand easily aggregates it. This results in unbelievable pain. 

I think this incident was the result of a few long days and this was the way my muscles decided to show me I've pushed them too far. I guess that's called the Muscular Dystrophy life? It was truly frustrating as this more than likely wouldn't of happened if our dishwasher didn't break. Sadly it was unrepairable so it ended up on the side of the road and off to the local dump.

One thing that is frustrating while living with MD is not knowing when your muscles are going to give out. It was just the other day they gave out I think due to a lack of sleep so the next thing I know I am crashing down onto the hard wood floor. Definitely not a fun experience for any of us. But after sustaining that cut on my forehead along with some bruising simply from falling forward while trying to wash my hand, it acts as a reminder to not push myself too far physically. My current reality is that a future fall could eventually result in a much worse outcome. 

Now thankfully due to a miracle the need to wash dishes by hand will soon be a thing of the past. This as a new dishwasher is on the way, which will definitely help to keep me from doing physical activities around the home that my weakening body simply can't handle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment