A look at Faith & Living with a Disability

When it comes to the subject of faith or a belief in God we can all admit at times this can be a very touchy subject, but we can’t deny the truth that for some living with disabilities a belief in God helps them make it through life. I was recently asked a very interesting question about faith and disability that I believe deserves an honest answer. A few months ago a fellow MD blogger named Fazz from Malaysia asked the question: “Has religion or spirituality played a role in you coming to terms with your condition?”

 

Today I wanted to share with you my answer to this question to help you understand my thoughts on faith and disability. So here is my response to the questions: “Has religion or spirituality played a role in you coming to terms with your condition?” I said: “Great question Fazz! I think it does have an affect! You see I am a Christian and believe my faith helps me immensely even though there are still times when I do find it hard to accept the effects that Muscular Dystrophy has on my day to day life. And in times of frustration my belief really does help me through those hard times. I really believe that everyone needs something to help them get through this life, I have also found that along with a faith in God that listening to music helps take my mind off of things.


I guess we all just have to find what works for us but this is what I believe. And I know some people may question: “If you’re a Christian then why hasn't God healed you yet?” I would have to respond by telling them that in the bible it says in heaven there’s no more sickness or pain so that must mean some of us may have to wait until we get there to be healed. Until then I just have to trust in God that one day they might find a cure for all forms of Muscular Dystrophy! Again I know that the subject of spirituality/religion is an extremely touchy subject for some but for me my belief in God has played a huge role in me accepting my life as a young man living with Becker Muscular Dystrophy.” 


Throughout my life there have been many occasions when my belief in God has helped me through some really tough times. Just imagine the time in my life when I lost my two daughters to stillbirth talk about the most devastating thing that has even happened in my life and the only way I made it through was due to my trust in God. Sure I was left questioning God asking him how could you let this happen, why didn’t you answer my prayers? I am sure these are typical questions that anyone who has lost a child or loved one would ask. I think we need to understand that in life things don’t always happen for a reason sometimes thing happen that make no sense but that doesn’t mean we should give up on our faith.


Throughout the years of living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy I have learned that life can be difficult and unpredictable at times. The truth is life isn’t easy for many people and it really doesn’t matter who you are at one time or another things happen that make no sense. I don’t know why I am the only one in my family who has ever been diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy but there nothing I can do to change that fact. Sometimes we have to accept that this is the hand we were dealt in life and thanks to my belief in God I just accepted it and kept on living my life. So when it comes to faith & disability the truth is for some of us it does plays a big role in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment