A good nights sleep makes all the difference


If there is one thing you learn quickly when living with Muscular Dystrophy it’s that a good night’s sleep is very important. This allows your body to recuperate while you sleep so you can face another day. I read many years ago that doctors recommend that people living with Muscular Dystrophy get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I know first hand how a bad night sleep can ruin you for the next day as it puts you at more risk of suffering a fall. Due to some outside sources lately I haven’t been able to get a good night’s sleep. This past week I had two nights in a row where my sleep was interrupted repeatedly throughout the night, I survived the first day feeling tired and weak but on the second day it was really getting to me. 

To be honest I felt as if I was knocking on death’s door I was so tired, unfortunately this did lead to a major fall that ended up with me crashing to the floor as my leg just gave out. Thankfully I landed on my arse but the impact was so hard it felt as if my organs took a major jolt. I was sitting on the floor in pain all alone with no one around to help me, I was very concerned but once the pain subsided I dragged myself across the living room floor - using a footstool to assist me in getting back up. I was truly frustrated as I knew this fall resulted from a major lack of sleep resulting from some neighbors who either don't care or don't realize how loud they are being. At this point I was desperate to get a good night’s sleep, longing for some peace and quiet throughout the night. While dreaming of a day when I can move into a modern apartment building that offers a good amount of noise separation between the units. That is why I am hopeful that within the next year or so we can move into a newer more accessible apartment building. 


In the end sleep is the most important thing that benefits people living with Muscular Dystrophy and a key component to us getting a good night’s sleep is peace and quiet. When it comes down to it we need to do everything possible to ensure we are getting all the rest we need. Which for some may include taking naps or going to bed early or just going to sleep when you are tired and getting up when you feel well rested. Sure at times life gets in the way as some of us have jobs, kids or other responsibilities -  I guess it’s all about finding what works best for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment