Finding a place that best suits your needs

When it comes to living with Muscular Dystrophy if you are not already living in a place set up to handle your specific physical needs then a move will soon become your main priority. As our muscles weaken many of us already know we must do our best to plan ahead by finding a place to live that is capable of handling our current and future needs. 


This is the stage in life with Muscular Dystrophy I am now facing as my current place of residence is quickly making my life more challenging than it should be. I guess that's what you get for living in a small apartment in a building originally built in the early 1900's. While it does provide a lot of character the lack of accessibility due to its age is really starting to make life a lot more difficult. Originally the plan was to live here for just a few years we just didn't expect the cost of rent to sky-rocket so high in our community. Now whenever we do find the perfect place to move that can handle my specific needs we quickly find out the cost well exceeds what we can afford. A reality many are facing due to the high cost of living in the area we currently reside.


Even today inaccessibility still a major issue for me


The main issues I am facing in my current apartment building is with inaccessibility. I can't even access the laundry room as it is in the basement and can only be accessed by using a set of stairs. My hope for this year is to somehow be living in a new accessible apartment building before winter arrives. As winter adds in a whole other set of issues including snow and ice, which can make getting to my vehicle next to impossible. This since the parking lot and walkways remain icy on most winter days. This can result in me being stuck inside simply due to that fact it is impossible for me to walk anywhere safely. That is why my main priority is moving to a fully accessible and well maintained apartment building. As this will not only results in making my life easier but the lives of any caretakers I may need as well. Which for many of us includes our spouses or parents who already do so much for us on a daily basis. I just hope this much needed move comes soon but a win in the lottery would sure change my life instantly - as being able to afford a fully accessible bungalow would be a dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment