Falling with Becker Muscular Dystrophy when cats attack

A few weeks ago I had a scary fall which resulted from our cat who for some reason loves to attack my legs from behind. When she did this the other day I immediately collapsed falling back and smashing my tailbone directly on the hard tile floor. Instantly the pain was excruciating which left me with no other option but to lay there for a bit before having to drag myself across the living room floor to a foot stool which I used to climb back up - a next to impossible task with MD but thankfully I was still able to do it. After this I had no other choice but to lay in bed and rest which was hard to do since I was in so much pain.

The next day I woke up in even more pain and it was truly debilitating. Just getting out of bed was a major challenge but thankfully once I was standing it did relieve a lot of the pain but I could still feel it. This led to me treating the pain with Tylenol which really helped. Still while sitting down in bed or especially in my lifter chair any wrong move I would make resulted in massive amounts of pain which made it hard not to swear. All this was caused by our cat Dusty who I was very upset with at the time. I am sure we can all agree that a cat who likes to attack legs adds in a lot of risks especially for those like me living with weakened leg muscles resulting from Becker Muscular Dystrophy.


I truly hope the recovery from this injury is a quick one as being hurt certainly adds in a few more challenges when living with Muscular Dystrophy. Even through all this I still love our little kitty as she does bring a lot of joy into my life. I just wish there was a way to fix the issue with her attacking my legs. Thinking about it you could say I am in an abusive relationship. This just means I really need to be very careful in making sure she isn't sneaking up behind me ready to attack and possibly knock me down as another fall could end very badly especially while trying to recover from my current injury.


Now thankfully a few weeks later I am happy to report that I am doing a lot better. I may still feel a bit of pain but it's no longer excruciating and best of all I am now able to sit comfortably in bed and my lifter chair. My only hope is that in just a few more weeks I am fully recovered from what I view as one of my worst falls and injuries.


1 comment:

  1. You could try the old spray bottle technique. A quick stream of water in kitty's face will signal a strong "no." If used consistently, Dusty should flee at the bottle's mere appearance.

    ReplyDelete