Issues with Stairs & being Bullied in High School

Now, when I found myself in high school, I faced a few challenges related to living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy. The first was having to deal with climbing stairs, and over the next four years this became a major part of my daily routine. You see, many of my classes took place on the second floor so there was no way for me to avoid using the stairs. Thankfully in my teens climbing stairs was still possible, even though it was a pretty hard thing for me to do.

The worst thing about climbing stairs in high school was the fact that I went up them very slowly, usually resulting in a long line of other students waiting for me to make it up the stairs. Eventually, I had to become really creative when it came to dealing with stairs at school. The first thing I started doing was trying my best to get to the stairs before everyone else, that way I could avoid the embarrassing task of climbing stairs in front of the other students. Now eventually I got lucky in finding the one set of stairs at school that hardly anyone used. This went a long way in allowing me to take my time going up and down stairs without getting in anyone’s way - something that also helped me survive four years of climbing stairs at high school.

Yet Again Being Bullying Enters the Picture

 Unfortunately, as I entered high school bullying remained a major issue for me - something I hoped would end by the time I reached high school, but that wasn’t the case. Due to a lack of friends at school I guess this ended up making me an easy target for other students. But by this point I had already become accustomed to being bullied. Sadly enough the bullying in high school seems to get worse, even leading up to a time when a few kids would spit on me during class. Thinking back, I can’t believe I put up with that kind of treatment - all I know is that if it happened today it would be a different story. Sadly, not being able to fight back physically meant I just had to sit there and take it. 

 Thankfully there were a few moments when I could fight back without getting physical. I actually remember a time when my English teacher wanted us to complete group projects. Long story short, I was put into a group and they expressed disappointment with me being a part of their group. It was at this point I decided that I was going to do my own project separate from what they were doing. When it came time to hand in my project I received the highest mark in the class. My teacher even asked if he could keep my work to be used as an example in his other classes. In the end, I achieved my goal of making them regret not including me in their group. Sure a small victory but it felt great. 

 Thankfully after my first two years of high school a lot of the bullying came to an end. I believe the fact that I kept to myself and went home for lunch everyday played a major role in this - or maybe a few kids just grew up. Eventually after four years of high school the day came when I graduated leaving all the bullying and difficulties climbing stairs behind. Sure it wasn’t fun at the time but I survived and sometimes that’s all we have to do and one way to look at high school is that one day it will be over and it’s at that point when life truly begins.

The story continues please (Click Here) to read
“My late teens and living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment