My twenties living with Becker Muscular Dystrophy

When I reached my early twenties, I did notice that things were starting to change not majorly but gradually. Physically stairs began becoming a bit more of a problem so I would try my best to avoid them all together. Still life was pretty good and I was able to walk with no major issues. Again I knew that it was always best to take things at my own pace – sure a slip or fall would happen from time to time but I wouldn’t dwell on it. It really helped to teach me that I needed to be careful and to avoid walking on uneven surfaces.

But even that at times isn’t enough due to the fact that my legs at this point could give out without any notice and when that happens the place you would find me is on the ground. Sometime this even happens when I am walking on flat surfaces so in my twenties I already knew I had to be prepared for anything – this is when I had to learn the proper way to fall. I would compare it to a stunt man who can fall without sustaining an injury. Sure I wasn’t able to completely avoid injury from falls but thankfully when they did happen it only resulted in a few bruises and not any broken bones.

At this point in my early twenties I always tried to be careful and did this by only walking short distances all in an effort to avoid falls and muscle fatigue. It was at this time I also started noticing how far a good night’s sleep goes in helping with my energy level. If there is one thing I have learned is that sleep is very important when it comes to living with Becker's or any other form of Muscular Dystrophy.

So I started doing my best to get at least 8 hours or more of un-interrupted sleep every single night. This seemed to help a lot but still things were changing as I started noticing how hard it was becoming to lift or carry anything that was too heavy for me. Things many people can carry with ease such as a jug of milk or even a case of water. This meant in many situations my friends or family would be the ones carrying pretty much everything for me. It was at this point in my twenties when I slowly became more open to asking people for assistance. It was also great knowing that I had a few people I could count on to help me out.

The story continues please (Click Here) to read
“Entering my early thirties with Becker Muscular Dystrophy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment