Life with Muscular Dystrophy & Dealing with "Weak Days" (PART 1)

When it comes to living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy from time to time I wake up in the morning and right away I know it’s going to be one of those days. The first sign is a lack of energy when I try and climb out of bed. These are the days when simple everyday tasks become just a little bit more challenging to complete. These are what I have recently started referring to as “Weak Days”. They usually follow a day which was filled with plenty of physical activities. At times simple tasks such as going for a walk or doing things around the house can leave me feeling a little tired and weak. 

 

Sometimes these weak days can even come as a surprise. This usually happens on days when I have pushed myself too far physically without even knowing it. This is when what I like to call “mid-day shockers” come into play.  This is when your body does its best to grab your attention usually in the form of some type of close call. I could be walking around the house or out in public when one of my legs gives out almost causing me to fall. These are the moments when I realize that I better take it easy and limit my activities for the rest of the day. Over the years I have come to accept the fact that these days are just a part of my life. That’s why I don’t allow the possibility of a weak day to keep me from doing the things I love, like hanging out with friends or joining the Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy. The only good thing about these weak days is that they are pretty easy to predict. You see I know if I go on a long walk or spend the day doing a lot of physically demanding activities that I will have to take it easy over the next few days. 


Please (Click Here) to read Part 2


“Life with Muscular Dystrophy & dealing with Weak Days.”

No comments:

Post a Comment